Wednesday 1 July 2020

Tansen er Tanpura review

I was amused to see Tansen er Tanpura. Concept is nice. It is a nice way to mix Indian classical music in a thriller and present it to new generation for whom classical music holds almost no appeal. Though I did not like Bengali song in Hamsadhwani but other classical songs were relatable especially the raag Kedar ( Kanha re nanda nandana). Bikram Chatterji did a good job, the girlfriend of his is quite forgettable. The idea of sound waves opening a treasure box may be borrowed from Samaddar er Chabi of Satyajit Ray.

However I was quite amused by that pigmyphone, the miniature record player hidden inside the paintings. I was baffled too. I searched for them in Internet and found that Amazon sells a similar looking mini record player with 3 inch vinyl records.

https://www.amazon.com/Crosley-Turntable-3-inch-Records-Silver/dp/B07P83H6KK

The price with record is around $64. This is battery operated. If this is the product they showed in Tansen er Tanpura then the year of hiding this in 1997 is flawed. This is a recent invention. It was not available in 1997. Rather according to RSD website (https://recordstoreday.com/RSD3) this product RSD3 became available in 2019 with the oldest RSD product being available in 2011.
I guess the work Tansen er Tanpura is a fiction and not a reality. The product cannot be functional from 1997 to 2020 because it is battery operated (4 AA batteries) and those batteries cannot be solar powered. So technically showing this product in 1997 and then hiding it for 20 years and suddenly its becoming functional is figment of imagination. But I liked the product and I will buy it. Thank you Tansen er Tanpura series to bring to my notice a technological marvel.

No comments:

Post a Comment